If you're reading this page and are thinking to yourself, "Should I consider a position at 80legs?", let me tell you a little secret. It is perhaps the very best time to consider joining our small team, for we are about to embark on quite the amazing journey as a company. Allow me to explain.
We've been operating for about 2 years now, and things are going well. But we're not satisfied, because we see an even greater opportunity for us just around the corner. We're right now in the process of evolving our web crawling platform into an end-to-end data platform. Think of this new data platform as an API for the entire web, where anyone can treat the Internet as a cached, structured database to build applications on top of and from which to derive meaningful insight.
Of course, such an ambitious adventure is going to take a great team to realize the vision. That's where you come in. If the words "big data" gets you excited, if you're a hacker at heart, and if you are a brave soul, then we want to hear from you.
How does "building search interfaces that tap into the fabric of the web" sound as a job description? That's essentially what you'll be doing as a UI developer at 80legs. Specifically, you'll be responsible for:
- Building powerful & intuitive interfaces for web search and data retrieval
- Conducting regular testing to optimize usability and enjoyment
- Working on new ways to interface with and visualize data
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Experience developing web applications (no specific language, but think PHP, Ruby, etc.)
- Knowledge of A/B testing
- Passion for creative and intuitive interface design
- Bonus points for getting a kick out of data viz, infographics and the like
We'll be looking to you to be the creative force that brings our new data platform to life. Up for the challenge?
Systems Operations Support
We run a very unique and complex back-end infrastructure at 80legs. It consists of several layers, including:
- A grid computing system consisting of 100,000+ nodes strung across the world
- A series of local machines handling hundreds of data collection processes
- Auxiliary components that handle various helper tasks
We'd like to find someone that can help us with the monitoring of this behemoth and the improvement of this behemoth's operations. The right person for the job will have the following qualities:
- Enjoys the challenge of understanding and monitoring complex, high-performance infrastructures
- Is constantly looking for ways to improve the performance of back-end operations and make monitoring those systems more efficient
- Has a combination of development and systems experience
The following skills will help:
- Proficient in Java
- Experience with Linux and Unix
- Know your way around server hardware
- Apache, Tomcat and other web server tools
If you're interested in applying to or learning more about any of these positions, please contact us at support [at] 80legs [dot] com and include your resume. Thanks!
Working at 80legs
If you enjoy working with tightly-knit and fast-paced teams that tackle big challenges, then you'll enjoy working with us.
Since our launch in 2009, we've been on a mission to make web-wide data available to everyone. This ambitious dream has led us to developing unique, best-of-breed technologies while serving individuals and organizations from a wide variety of industries.
We have an open work environment, where everyone can communicate easily with each other. All team members are encouraged to share their passions, get involved in the local startup/technology community and spread their wings. Bureaucracy and busy-work are four-letter words.
We believe it's about more than a job. It's about feeling fulfilled.